The church of Saint Lucy Alla Badia is located in Piazza Duomo and it is dedicated to the Patron Saint of Syracuse. Places in the site of an old monastery of the XV century, which was entirely destroyed by the earthquake of 1693, was built between 1695 and 1703, by the architect Luciano Caracciolo. Originally the facade, overlooked the narrow street Via Picherali, that leads to the Font of Arethusa, while now is facing the square, is made of two rows separated by entablature with a decorated balcony.
The lower order is characterized by the presence of the Baroque doorway in the center with a pediment decorated with symbols of martyrdom of the Saint on whose sides are Spanish royal coat of arms. In the upper order, pilasters in pseudo-Corinthian style are located. The interior has only one nave decorated with four baroque altars dating from 18th century.
In the vault itis possible to admure a eighteenth-century fresco representing "The Triumph of St. Lucia." Behind the altar you can admire the great and magnificent altarpiece "The Burial of Saint Lucia" by Michelangelo Merisi, also called Caravaggio.
The stuccoes were performed by Biagio Bianco di Licodia in 1705, while the gilding dates from 1784, such as the restoration of the vaults with the frescoes representing the miracle of 1646.
The silver altar frontal was performed by the goldsmith Francesco Tuccio from Messina in 1726. On the right side it is possible to admire a painting of Giuseppe Reati (1641) representing the miracle of St. Francis of Paola.
Monday-Saturday from 11.00 to 13.00